Since I upgraded to KDE 4.3 I have not been using my pc much, so i took me a couple of weekto realize that strigi had stopped working.
Trying to activate it from System Settings returned a nice:
“Strigi service failed to initialize, most likely due to an installation problem”
So what was the problem?
As always the problem was in the backend of the database storage.
It is called sesame2 and is written in Java, and obviously it has always trouble locating the shared object for the Java virtual machine.
This has happened to me on openSUSE, Kubuntu and Arch.
The solutions I had to adopt varied slightly, but the one that saved my day here on Arch appears to be the nicer to date.
What I had to do was adding a line to the file /etc/ld.so.conf which contains a list of folder containing dynamic libraries.
I entered in a terminal:
sudo nano /etc/ld.so.conf
This opens the configuration file using the nano text editor.
Then I added a line for the folder containing the JVM, which varies depending on your distro and architecture, and also if you use openjdk or Sun JRE. Here i list the folders for Sun JRE on Arch Linux 32 and 64 bit:
32 bit: /opt/java/jre/lib/i386/server
64 bit: /opt/java/jre/lib/amd64/server
Then I saved the files, closed nano, ad applied the new settings with the command:
Now System Setting allowed me to activate Strigi, and life was beautiful again.
This has been tested on Arch 32 bit. Any info on you results on other distros, and variations to this how-to, will be included in the main post, so please provide all the feedback you can.
Update: As Sesame2 is not used anymore by Nepomuk, this is probably not useful anymore. The current supported backend is Virtuoso, which is C++ and does not use Java anymore.